Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Why does one attend church?

After months of not going to regular Sunday services I decided to go with the family this past Sunday. I had bought the children Easter outfits only to learn that Easter and General Conference fall on the exact same day. So, I opted to attend the week before Easter.

It turned out to be fast and testimony Sunday, a time when anyone can get up and share their testimony. One brother stood and I instantly knew what was coming. All suspicions proved true as he professed to be a doctor of sorts without any medical degree spewing all sorts of odd information about vitamins and herbs and the uses they possess. After almost 10 minutes of this nonsense I decided I had had enough and I exited the chapel. Unfortunately my husband had the keys, so all I could do was walk the halls. The ridiculous so-called testimony continued, as it can be heard in all parts of the church. After "milk is poison" I consciously stopped listening until the very end after he had closed his testimony "in the name of Jesus Christ". He then uttered, "and I can back up all of this with documentation." I wish so much I was in there and had raised my hand to ask for it at that very moment, but no... nothing like that. I just shook my head and continued to wonder why I was there.

I was missing my yoga class for this?

Then a second man arose to bear his testimony. Again, nothing related to church or anything spiritual on any level... a bunch of crap about who knows what. I again tuned it out.

Luckily my son had a soccer game and it gave us an early out. After sacrament we left.

The very next day my visiting teachers dropped in. (Code: bring your kids and let them destroy my house.) This particular time there were only 2 children who were actually pretty well behaved, but on numerous occasions I have had as many as 6 children when mine were in school. My home became something of a daycare and it was never quite the same when they left as when they arrived.

After visiting for a short while they told me they had found a message they wanted to share with me. This particular month she had chosen her very own message from a previous conference talk. I can think of many things that could be shared that might have been uplifting to me or of some value, but the message they shared was absolutely not- either.

She proceeds to tell me that she just loved this talk. The apostle said that "in the last days the very elect will be deceived." She then goes on to say, "You need to be reading your book of mormon daily so that you don't fall prey to this. It is also your responsibility to teach your children all they need to know because you will be held ultimately responsible."

Seriously? Of all the messages she could share this is what she chooses? Does she not know that I have heard this at least a hundred times already? A very inappropriate message... insensitive in every way. Do they think they are better than me? If so, it only further proves my argument that mormons are the most judgmental people I know.

Why not just shoot me now because I'm certain I'm going to hell!

We talked briefly about the testimony meeting the previous day and I told her that it was definitely not great and that I wouldn't be back anytime soon. "I go to church to be spiritually fed and this didn't do it for me."

She then says that she has decided it is up to us as individuals to fill our own spiritual cups and that we cannot rely on others to do that for us.

So, then- I am left with only one question, Why do we even go to church if it is not to be fed spiritually? If we go with the intentions of not having our cups filled- then why? We can fill our own cups at home or at Yoga or from a book. Then why?

It seems asinine to me, which is exactly what I told her- to which I felt bad then saying it in front of a 2 year old and a baby. I apologized, but in all honesty... there is no other word for it.

If we don't go to church to be uplifted or fed spiritually... if we leave feeling worse than when we went...

What is the purpose? Why then does one attend church?

Is it to socialize? (Because I can think of many people I'd rather spend my time with.)

Is it out of fear? (Because I'm already going to hell regardless- according to them.)

Is it to fulfill a calling? (Because that is a lame reason and they can replace you.)

Is it to gossip? Is it fear of judgment?

Is it because you can think of nothing better to do?

Why? Why do you go to church?

4 comments:

  1. I went to church because I wanted to be spiritually uplifted, I liked the lessons, I liked seeing my friends, it was an obligation, etc.

    Now when I go to church (LDS or other) I go to hear a good message and draw closer to God, to feel spiritually stronger than I was before. If I was attending a church where I couldn't gain these things from being there, I wouldn't be going back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Misplaced,
    Stumbled across your post on RfM; hadn't been there for a long time. Thanks for this blog--very cool. Seems like I'm your male alter-ego; about the same age, and in the same situation with my wife, etc.

    Hope you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, yes, your question. Why do I still go to church? I ask myself that every Sunday as I sit through mind-numbing lessons, listen to crap that I couldn't believe if it was the last option on earth.

    So, I guess I go to keep the peace with my wife. Pathetic, I know. It's not making me happy. It kills me a bit each Sunday; would so much rather be hiking, cycling, etc. Still gathering steam to make that final jump, but after 6 years of no-longer-believing, I'm wondering if the energy is there anymore.

    Church should be uplifting, loving, peaceful, joyful, inspiring. The LDS Church is SO not that for me. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I stopped going over three years ago and it was the best decision I ever made

    ReplyDelete